The Kentucky Derby is a major horse race held annually in Louisville, Kentucky, United States, almost always on the first Saturday in May, capping the two-week-long Kentucky Derby Festival. For sports enthusiasts, the competition is a Grade I stakes race for three-year-old Thoroughbreds at a distance of one and a quarter miles at Churchill Downs.
For socialites, gamblers and the well-traveled, it’s also one of the most illustrious outdoor events in America, playing host to spectators that range from college students (typically concentrated in the in-field), to celebrities and business titans (typically found in millionaires row (the VIP upper deck that overlooks the finish line).
Of course, while a lucky few make the trek to Churchill Downs to witness this spectacle, the rest of the world will watch from the comfort of their homes or local pubs with friends, si[pping the classic Derby Day inspired Mint Juleps, traditionally made with Bourbon.
This year, we will be stirring up two classic Derby Day inspired ONE ROQ cocktails and sipping them slow (or fast), as we cheer on our lucky bets.
Will you join us? Find our Derby Day Cocktail recommendations – and April’s ONE ROQ Bottle Promotion below.
1. ONE ROQ Julep n’ Grapefruit
- 1.5 oz. ONE ROQ® Vodka
- 0.5 oz. fresh lime juice
- 0.75 oz. fresh pink grapefruit juice
- 0.3 oz. pomegranate syrup
- 8 mint leaves
- 0.3 oz. honey syrup
Combine first five ingredients in a mixing glass before stirring in the honey syrup. Add ice and shake. Strain into a julep cup or Collins glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a large sprig of mint and grapefruit twist.
No. 2 The ONE ROQ Julep-Mule
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves, plus a sprig to garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- 1 ounce of freshly squeezed fruit juice, whatever is in season (mango, strawberries and cherries are perfect for this)
- Add the mint leaves and sugar to a copper cup and muddle.
- Pour in the bourbon, followed by the vodka and lime juice. Add the ginger beer and fruit juice then stir together. Fill the remaining cup with crushed ice.
- Top with mint sprig and enjoy!